Thursday, September 1, 2011

Don't Breathe A Word by Jennifer McMahon***

Hi, everyone, how are you today? Hope everyone's enjoying their day.

I finally finished my book today, and thought I'd jump on here and write a review while it's fresh in my mind. Here's some info about the book itself.

Don't Breathe A Word by Jennifer McMahon
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: May 17, 2011
Pages: 447
Edition: US Paperback

Synopsis: On a soft summer night in Vermont, twelve year old Lisa went into the woods behind her house and never came out again. Before she disappeared, she told her little brother, Sam, about a door that led to a magical place where she would meet the King of The Fairies & become his queen.

  Fifteen years later, Phoebe is in love with Sam, a practical, sensible man who doesn't fear the dark and doesn't have bad dreams-who, in fact, helps Phoebe ignore her own. But suddenly, the couple is faced with a series of eerie, unexplained occurrences that challenge Sam's hardheaded, realistic view of the world. As they question their reality, a terrible promise Sam made years ago is revealed-a promise that could destroy them all.

*I don't recommend this book to anyone under the age of 18*

Review: I personally don't really like the synopsis, not because it isn't interesting or well-written, it just didn't sum up the book at all really, in my opinion. I guess it told the basis of the story, but it sort of made me believe I'd be reading about some fantasies of a little girl and her fairyland. But it was MUCH more darker then that.

The book starts off with Lisa's disappearance and throughout the book, it goes back and forth between Phoebe's point of view (Phoebe being Sam's girlfriend) and Lisa's point of view. When written in Lisa's point of view, it is set 15 years prior to Phoebe's point of view. So, that got a little confusing for me, and after finishing the book, I still don't know why the author found that necessary.

But I was definetly hooked from page 1. It is just one plot twist after the other after the other... and it does not stop until maybe 3/4 into the book. I loved that about it though! I hate when I can figure out a book from page 1, it just takes the fun out of it for me. But this book was not like that AT ALL. And the plot didn't even start unfolding until after about 3/4 as well. I was really worried with all the twists the author was going to leave some things unexplained, which I hate, but she definetly patched it all up pretty nicely at the end.

Now, let's talk characters! I loved all the characters Jennifer has created for us. Even the ones that made me sick to my stomach because it takes someone with a lot of writing talent to make me feel that much emotion for a story. My favorite character of all was Phoebe. She is someone I'd love to hang out with because she was very relateable and wasn't judgemental. I'm not really sure what my least favorite characters were because there were so many! Very, very disturbed characters in this book, but I promise it's done with class.

The ending was another plus for me. It answered all the questions I had, while also leaving me wanting more.

This is my first book by Jennifer, but I definetly plan on reading more! I highly recommend this story to anyone over the age of 18 who's looking for a great scare!

No comments:

Post a Comment