Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Needful Things by Stephen King***

Book review time!!!!

I read this book last year sometime so I'm not too sure about all the tiny details but I'll do my best.

Needful Things by Stephen King
Publisher: Signet
Release Date: July 8, 1992
Pages: 690 in the U.S. Hardcover Edition
Ages: 18+
Genre: Horror, Mystery
Series: none

Leland Gaunt is a stranger-and he calls his shop Needful Things. Eleven-year-old Brian Rusk is his first customer, and Brian finds just what he wants most in all the world: a Sandy Koufax baseball card. By the end of the week, Mr. Gaunt's business is fairly booming, and why not? At Needful Things, there's something for everyone.

And, of course, there is always a price. For Leland Gaunt, the pleasure of doing business lies chiefly in seeing how much people will pay for their most secret dreams and desires. And as Leland Gaunt always points out, at Needful Things, the prices are high indeed. Does that stop people from buying? Has ever?

For Allan and Polly, this one week in autumn will be an awful test-a test of will , desire and pain. Above all, it will be a test of their ability to grasp the true nature of their enemy. They may have a chance...but maybe not, because, as Mr. Gaunt knows, almost everything is for sale: love, hope, even the human soul.

Such a long synopsis! Well I definetly loved this book. I had never heard of it before, even though I've heard of most of King's books, so it caught my interest, because, well, it IS Mr. King, and I LOVE pretty much everything I've read from him, besides Cell.

Hmm, where to start? If you've ever read anything by King, you'll find this is a pretty typical King novel. It has the creepiness element like always, not too much gore, which is great because I don't really like gory type novels. The characters were very well written as well. My favorite was Sheriff Pangborn, although, I can't really say why since I don't wanna give any spoilers. My least favorite were definetly Ace Merrill and Leland Gaunt himself.

I'm not really sure if there was anything in this book I didn't enjoy. I mean it wasn't one of my all-time favorites or anything, but it's definetly one of my favorite by Stephen King.

Overall, I recommend this for anyone over 18. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment