Saturday, September 10, 2011

These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf***

Who wants another book review? I do, I do!

I just finished this book, like, 5 mins ago, & I can't wait to review it!

These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf
Publisher: Mira
Release Date: Jan 31, 2011
Pages: 337 in the U.S. Paperback Edition
Ages: 18+
Genre: Mystery
Series: none

Allison Glenn tried to hide what happened that night... and failed. The consequence? A prison sentence. Now she's free. But secrets have a way of keeping you locked up.

When teenager Allison Glenn is sent to prison for a heinous crime, she leaves behind her reputation as Linden Falls' golden girl forever. Her parents deny the existence of their once-perfect child. Her former friends exult in her downfall. Her sister, Brynn, faces whispered rumors everyday in the hallways of their small Iowa high school. It's Brynn-shy, quiet Brynn-who carries the burden of what really happened that night. All she wants is to forget Allison and the past that haunts her.

But then Allison is released to a halfway house, and is more determined then ever to speak with her estranger sister.

Now their legacy of secrets is focused on one little boy. And if the truth is revealed, the consequences will be unimaginable for the adoptive mother who loves him, the girl who tried to protect him and the two sisters who hold the key to all that is hidden.

This book was really great. I thought that it was well-written and the character development is amazing!

My favorite character is Claire, who is the owner of the bookstore where Allison gets a job while she's in the halfway house. The number one reason I love Claire is because of the fact that she owns her own small bookstore because, c'mon, who doesn't love small, independant bookstores? I also love the way that she is with her son, Joshua and her husband Jonathan. They just have such a cute perfect family that I just loved reading about. And she was just such a damaged character that still tried to keep a positive outlook on life.

My second favorite character was Allison, even though at first, I wasn't a huge fan. But that's what makes this book so great, it has the ability to change your opinion. When I first started reading about her character, I thought she was a little selfish and stuck up, so I didn't really care for her as a character, but throughout the book, you really see her develop as a woman and she really grows up.

The plot of this story was very original and well-written. It really drew me in from page 1. Right before I started These Things Hidden, I was reading Eden Close by Anita Shreve, and I found it to be a little boring, but as soon as I picked up this paperback, I could NOT put it down.

So, overall, I definetly recommend this to anyone over 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment