Sunday, September 4, 2011

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie Mcguire*

Hey everyone. Happy Labor Day weekend!

Has anyone heard of this book? I know it's been getting some hype lately, but I really believe that this is one of the examples where you really, really shouldn't buy into the hype of anything.

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie Mcguire
Publisher: Jamie Mcguire, LLC
Release Date: May 26, 2011
Pages: Unknown
Edition: Kindle

Synopsis: The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs-and wants-to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis' apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

So... yeah. When I first heard about this, I thought it sounded like a really cute love story between two teens. In actuality, this story was between two college students that acted like 12 year olds. Throughout the first 1/2 of the story, I loved it. Until I realized how this was sort of aimed at young adults, at the example it sets is horrible.

First off, the characters are the only reason I gave this even one star. My favorite characters were America and her boyfriend, also Travis' cousin, Shep. They were the only level headed characters, even though I thought Shep was a little bit of a wuss. But Travis and Abby were just Jamie McGuire's pathetic attempt at trying to emulate what she believes young adults act like.

Travis is a very controlling individual who just made me sick to my stomach because so many young girls see this and "swoon". Can you say pathetic? Why would you want a guy who beats the crap out of a guy for LOOKING at you. And Abby couldn't go to certain places for fear of what Travis would think/say/do. If that doesn't scream controlling, I don't know what does.

Overall, I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I definetly do NOT recommend this to anyone, especially younger girls under the age of 18 or 19.

No comments:

Post a Comment