Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver*

Hey everyone, got another review.

This is another book that has been getting a lot of hype lately, and I decided to review it because I don't really agree with all the attention it has been recieving.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: August 2, 2011
Pages: 480
Ages: 14+
Genre: Dystopian, Romance
Series: Delirium Trilogy
Followed by: Pandemonium (out in February 2012)
                  Requiem (out in February 2013)
Edition: U.S. Hardcover

Ninety Five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.

This book was very disappointing. I guess, due to the hype, I had very high expectations for it, and it just fell flat.

The things I did enjoy were the ending & Lena's character. I thought the ending was great because maybe 3/4's of the way through was really boring to me, but after that, it really picked up and got interesting. I'm not sure if the author needed to drag it out for the other two books in the trilogy, but either way, I really didn't enjoy most of the novel. I did like Lena's character. She was probably the only character throughout the whole book that I felt was even halfway believeable.

Everything besides the ending and Lena's character, I absolutely hated. I don't understand the hype. Maybe dystopian novels just aren't my cup of tea. I'm not sure. I understand that this is supposed to be a different society then ours so it isn't exactly like ours is now. But at the same time, I didn't see the plot or characters believable in any society... I don't know.

Overall, I don't recommend this to anyone really. Maybe ages 14-16. I hate telling people to not read a book, I believe people should read whatever it is they want, as long as theyre READING, so pick it up if you want. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment