Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson***

Hey everyone.

I just finished this book around 2 am last night. I literally could NOT put this book down.


Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Pages: 358
Edition: U.S. Hardcover
Age Group: 18+
Series: none

"As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning, thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me..." Memories define us. So what if you lost yours everytime you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love, all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may be telling you only half the story. Welcome to Christine's life.

The main reason I gave this book 3 stars was because it was definetly a page turner. I found myself stalling to go to the store or do dishes so I can read one more paragraph. But, overall, I think this book deserves more of a 2 star rating. I'm not really sure why. I think it just didn't have that "wow" factor you know? 

The characters were all well done and believable. My favorite was Claire because she seemed very carefree and loveable, and I really felt that she truly cared about Chris. Another of my favorites was Christine, the main character. The author definetly made me feel her pain and try to imagine what it would feel like to be so alone and not know who to trust. 

I'm not quite sure how I felt about the plot. Like I said, it definetly kept me interested all the way until the very end. In my opinion, it was very well written and very believable. But, once it all unraveled, I felt it was sort of a let down. It was still very believeable, I just felt like the whole book kept building up to this huge "grand finale" when it turned out to be kind of a dud.



**SPOILER ALERT**
The next part of this review might have a few points that some might consider spoilers, so if you haven't read this book, i suggest you stop right now.



Another part that didn't sit well with me was that fact that it moved kind of slow, but it was still a page turner, if that makes sense. It's just the first couple chapters were the same thing, which I understand is part of the story, but c'mon. The beginning of each chapter is her waking up and not knowing where she is or who's she with and needing her husband to explain to her everything. I know that it's part of the story since the main character has amnesia and she wakes up every morning like this and the story is told from her point of view, I just didn't see the need to do the same thing for the first couple chapter. It got a little repetitive.

And the thing I didn't like about the ending was I thought the answer to the whole plot would be a lot more twisty turny then it just being her lover. But that was a HUGE twist, don't get me wrong. I did NOT see that one coming. I just thought it sort of fell through in my opinion.

So, overall, I think that you should definetly check this out if you're over 18. Happy Reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment